I finally got around to making something out of that lovely cotton yarn I dyed at the end of February. Loree had requested another hat* for her photography props - this time one in an "aviator" style (with short earflaps and long braids). I was kind of dreading working with the thick/thin yarn because I just wasn't sure how it would knit up, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work with!
I started by making a skullcap style hat and then pick up and knit stitches on each side of the hat for the earflaps. The short earflaps really helped hide some of the bulges from the thick part of the yarn that showed up along the cast-on edge. Really, the hardest part of the whole hat were those braids! It was really difficult to get braids of a consistent thickness out of thick/thin yarn. I ended up making the braid out of 6 strands of yarn. I tried to offset the thick parts of the yarn so that at any spot along the braid there was at least one "lump". It took some work, but I ended up with two sections of braid that were pretty good.
When it was all said and done I thought the hat looked like cotton candy! A sweet little topper for sweet little babies :)
I also recently purchased some new tags/stickers and business cards. The hat made a nice backdrop for some photos of the business cards!
*see the "Elfin" stocking caps featured on Loree's blog!