Friday, May 22, 2009

Birthday Bolero

I finally finished Anna's birthday bolero. I used Sirdar's pattern 1676 but altered it significantly. I much prefer top-down patterns to bottom-up, and since I wanted this to be shorter than the pattern intended I decided top-down would be the way to go. I also hate seaming, and this pattern was written to make 5 pieces, sew them all together, then do the border. I figured it would be fairly simple to re-write as a raglan instead.

I didn't have enough yarn to make the long sleeves, so I went for short sleeves since this is for summer dresses. After working the body and going back to work on the sleeves I did some pleating and decreases before working on the cuff.

I am really happy with how it turned out, and my daughter liked it too! Last night was my son's preschool graduation, and since I finished the bolero yesterday I simply couldn't wait till her birthday to have Anna wear it :)

(you'll have to take my word for it that she liked it... she was in a bad mood in this photo!)


  1. So pretty! I didn't understand most of what you said, but the pictures are lovely :)

    And that's not a bad mood - that's Anna's "Fierce" face.

  2. It turned out so awesome! I'm not confident enough in my knitting to make any adjustments like that, so kudos to you for being brave. I love her face, too funny!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.